Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sure was an interesting night in politics...

Rudy Giuliani and John Edwards are dropping out of their respective campaign races.

And to think Rudy was way ahead in the polls just a few months ago. Yikes. Will his campaign be viewed by future campaign managers as a great lesson in how not to win?

What caused his drop in the polls? His questionable decision-making while mayor and on the campaign trail? His lackluster campaign style? His cranky-wise-guy-next-door attitude? His tendency to laugh off and smile away direct questions?

Maybe none; maybe all three. But he's gone and will endorse John McCain. Wow. Right-wing pundits will be screaming and screeching in the coming days: Ann, Rush, Laura, Dennis... what hath thou wrought? They just don't like John McCain. Not sure what he's done to piss them off, but they sure don't like the guy. I plan to listen to their radio shows this week (for as long as I can stand) to hear the levels of whining that ensue.

John Edwards is about to be gone as well. This one, for me, is easier to understand: he sounded a single-note message, and this note rang hollow given his wealth and affluence. Yes, he earned it. He worked for it. But for me his proclaiming so loudly is exactly like a pampered rock start singing about his angst. (Please. I got yer angst right here.) Regardless of this, though, I like John Edwards, and I like his wife even more. She's just great, and I wish them both well in their struggle with her health.

I heard it suggested last night that Huckabee might be a choice for McCain's vice-president. I also heard it suggested that Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama need to start making nice so one can be the other's running mate. Yeah... as if. This'll happen on the same day that winged primates seek egress from my anus. No way. Mark my words. Not saying it wouldn't be a great ticket, but I just don't see the egos allowing it to happen.

Another aspect of McCain's unexpected ascendancy is that it'll probably keep Mayor Bloomberg on the sidelines, which could have really messed things up for the Repos, not that they aren't in a bit of disarray already.

But for me, the most interesting thing will be to see if the Democrats can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. With the GOP so fractured, this should be the Demos' year, but their bickering and acrimony might cause moderates and independents to say "see ya later" and head over to McCain.

It sure was an interesting night in politics.

No comments: