Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Is it just me, or...?

Is it just me or does Rudy Gulliani sometimes seem like the curmudgeonly next-door neighbor we've all had? He seems more interested in a glib retort than a real answer.

The same could be said for Fred Thompson, but he just seems sort of cranky rather than a wise-guy like Gulliani. Fred sure doesn't act like he wants this thing too much, does he. Although I suppose you could argue that wanting it too much could be a bad thing as well --- a la Hillary Clinton earlier in the campaign.

I sure wish Dennis Kucinich didn't have to marginalize himself the way he does. It's almost pathological. He speaks the truth almost all the time, but he's just so far to the left of the spectrum that it's hard to take him seriously. I couldn't care less that he's seen a UFO; hell, I wish I would see one some day. But he just seems to want to put himself way out at the very hairy edge of the left wing. I love the guy, but he routinely shoots himself in the foot and has proven to have a deadly accurate aim.

Thankfully no one has started in with the "flip-flop" thing this year. That is such a silly argument. All it really means is that someone changed their mind! What's wrong with that? It's good to adjust your world view now and again. What's the point of a rigid, intractable stance merely for its own sake? Show some flexibility. Everybody changes their minds now and again.

Please understand that I'm a moderate, a registered Independent, so I can easily stand on either side of the political fence. My problem is with anyone who is too far out at the extreme wing, left or right. Every election year I get a subscription to "The Nation" and "National Review." This way I can see where both extremes stand on things and can act accordingly.

This really should be an interesting year, though. As long as the serial wing-nuts can stay on the sidelines, right and left, it'll be fun to watch. And I don't care who you vote for, just vote!

No comments: