Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is golf in Atlanta right now a good idea?

With all the misery resulting from the intense rains Northern Georgia and the surrounding areas have received, with all the financial difficulty the people in these areas are experiencing, is playing golf for a $10 Million prize really a good idea right now? What effect could that much money have on this rain-soaked area in terms of direct donations?

I don't know the answers.

I'm a golfer and a pro-golfing fan (I'm pro pro-golf?), so I can rationalize the large purses these men and women play for in exchange for the entertainment value that they deliver and the direct injection of money into the areas where their tournaments take place.

But at a time when the term "tone-deaf" is gaining prominence as a cliche in the popular lexicon, is going forward with this tournament an example of tone-deafness? Does it show poor taste? Bad judgment?

I don't know the answers.

Look, I haven't been planning this tournament for a year. I've nothing invested in it. I'm not employed in its cause. I'm not affected by its potential cancellation. I suppose it's possible that some of the tournament-related money that will pour into this region will help to some extent, but will the trickle-down effect really do anything in this case? Is this result even a responsibility of this tournament and its organizers and competitors?

I don't know the answers.

But it's because I love golf as I do that I don't want it to possibly shoot itself in the foot by playing a game while thousands in the area aren't playing, but are instead working hard to keep their lives together.

I don't know the answers.

I do know that in the grand scheme, golf is very close to the bottom of the human priority list, so maybe I do know the answers after all.

No comments: