Tuesday, February 12, 2008

eBay sellers angry about feedback?

This news story discusses a dust-up between eBay's marketing department and eBay sellers upset about buyers being able to rank sellers in four "hidden" categories, including, among other things, shipping costs and communications.

Fair enough, I guess, but I'd like to know why most eBay sellers don't give immediate positive feedback when a buyer pays for an item immediately — via Paypal or some other means — and why so many eBay sellers never send an email to let buyers know the item shipped. Look, I don't need my hand held and I don't need a tracking number. All I need to know is that the item is on its way: please don't make me guess and come after you to find out if you've shipped it.

Further, immediate deserves immediate. If you're selling something and we pay for it immediately, you should give credit where it's due, and just as immediately.


Instead, what sellers do is play a game and wait for the item to get to the buyer and for the buyer to post feedback, which, if it not positive is met by feedback in kind. Believe me, I think the whole feedback thing needs radical alteration, but until a better system comes along, it is what it is.

To put it in a brick-and-mortar model, if I walk into a store to buy something, I expect to pay for that article before I leave the store (i.e., immediately). If the article I purchased doesn't perform as advertised, I expect to be able to return it with no hassles, I don't expect to be slammed for returning it. It's not my fault the item was substandard, and it's the responsibility of the seller to hold the item's manufacturer accountable, and not the buyer.

Why should eBay sellers work within a different model?

Answer: they shouldn't.


And so, to all eBay sellers, if I buy something from you and I pay for it immediately, you should do the following:

  1. Post immediate positive feedback for having received my money,
  2. Send the item immediately, and
  3. Let me know you've sent the item, by sending me an email, immediately.
Now, don't even get me started on the weenies who require Paypal, but then nail buyers for the measly Paypal fee.

No comments: