Saturday, May 28, 2011

Goodbye, Sonia...

On Friday, May 27th, Sonia Gaudet Worthington succumbed to illness, leaving her husband and best friend, John, who was side by side with Sonia for the last 23 years, and by her side as usual in her last minutes of life.

Sonia was special. I've never met anyone like her and will likely never meet anyone like her.

She was quick to laugh (and had a wonderful laugh, at that) and was extremely slow to blame or accuse. She humored me with my stupid jokes and one-liners, she loved John and all their animals, and she made some of the best jambalaya it was ever my pleasure to eat.

I met Sonia and John through my wife, who worked with Sonia at Alza (now Johnson & Johnson) back in the early 90s. Sonia was a force of nature in Alza's shipping and receiving department and my wife took an instant liking to her kind and gentle heart, which Sonia allowed anyone who took the time, to see. I loved her instantly as well, and I'd prefer not to meet or know the person who didn't.

This is a cliché, but it's true: the world is diminished with Sonia gone from it, but
through our brief chance to get to know her it was made a better place, and all of us, better people, by her presence, her grace, and her great strength.

I'll always love you, Sonia.

No comments: