Friday, September 3, 2010

I... UGH!... can't watch... UGH!... tennis.

I have tried several times in the last few years to watch pro tennis. I just can't do it.

The athletes seem completely capable, the strategy can be exciting, the shots are often brilliant. But so many players are just so noisy. Why?

Who decided it was a good idea for a gorgeous tennis player to make an ugly sound every time she hits the ball?

And it's not just the women: the men have their special sounds as well. Regardless of gender, it's annoying, and I can't believe I'm alone in thinking this.

I love golf. I watch golf. I play golf. But unless my golf ball heads toward water/trees/ravines/gorse/heather/hazards of any kind after I hit it
or my lumbar disc injury reminds me its still there and objecting to what I just did to it by swinging a little too hard, I don't make noises when I hit it.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a baseball player at the plate or a field-goal kicker on the 20-yard line shout "Ugh!" when hitting or kicking. These sports are often violent. People smack into one another. So why do tennis players, who don't collide with people as a part of their sport, have to make so much noise while they play it?

Does it hurt to hit a tennis ball?

Are they mad at their rackets?

Are they trying to intimidate (read "irritate) their opponents?

Or, as I suspect, are they trying to annoy the people who watch them play? Well even if they aren't trying to do this, they're succeeding in doing this.

I've tried to watch tennis and I just can't do it. It makes me want to say "Ugh!" as I change the channel for a less noisy sport.

No comments: