Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Goodbye, Joey!

My friend Joe Dalmon died last week from complications brought about by an illness. Joe had struggled for a long time and I was not made aware of his illness until only recently. But this is no one's fault but mine. I tried to stay in touch, and Joe wasn't much of a letter writer, so it wasn't always as timely as maybe it could have been. So be it. My heart goes out to his family and to everyone who knew him. He was a delightful guy.

When I found out in March of this year that Joe was ill --- and just how ill he was --- I wrote him the following letter and sent it to him in the hospital. I have to trust he received it and was able to read it (or have it read to him).


Dear Joe,

I’ve tried reaching you via Facebook for about a year, and I only recently found out from David that you’ve been ill for about that long. You’re in my thoughts every day. 

I want to tell you a few things, so please bear with me.

Finding you and the rest of the people who would comprise Genghis Prawn back in 1996 was, for me, like finding water in a desert. That’s the truth of it. I had auditioned for so many goofballs and weirdos (in other words, what you would call musicians) that I was starting to give up hope of finding normal people. Then you called me.

If I had been given the opportunity to select the ideal people with whom I could have played music, I could never have done better than you, Joe. That was one of the best experiences of my musical life and I will always be grateful to have shared it, but I will always be most grateful to you. You were my first contact and you remain one of the sweetest, kindest people I’ve ever known and probably will ever know, Joe. I mean this from the very bottom of my heart. I really need for you to know this and to believe it. I hope you do; I hope you already did know it. Row sends best wishes and thoughts as well.

In closing, please know that I love you, and in this I am most certainly not alone. To be a Joe Dalmon fan requires only having to have met you once, because it’s love at first sight. I was lucky enough to have spent a few years in your company, and I’m a better person for that chance.

It has been and remains my abiding honor, Joe.

I remain sincerely, respectfully, affectionately, and always your friend…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

This is Jon, Joe's brother. He received and read your letter - I was there, and he was truly touched & rather overwhelmed by your words. His tears were from joy, and remembrance, and it meant a great deal to him that you took the time to make sure he knew how you felt. Thank you, Mike - it made a difficult time less of a burden for Joe. Thank you, Jon.

Mike said...

You're welcome of course. I freely admit my cowardice in not wanting to call him. As I told David Gerbic, I wouldn't have made it a minute into the call. Jon... please accept my deepest condolences and empathy. That mold was broken when Joe was born. If there's anything I can do, please ask.